Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Arroz con leche



It seems like we have been on a dessert kick here at P&P, something to do with the holidays approaching perhaps. The other night, I longed for something comforting at the end of meal. I turned to my mom's signiature go-to dessert, arroz con leche. I never really considered this dessert growing up, I thought 'it's rice, that's no dessert'! I thought if it's not chocolate, how dare it call itself 'dessert'. But, something to do with getting older and missing home...I set about to make my own version and the results were so warm and comforting. I am an arroz con leche convert.

Coconut Rice Pudding with Pistachios and Pears

makes 4 servings

1/2 cup arborio rice
1 cup water
1 cup coconut milk
1 cup whole milk (I used rice milk)
1/4 cup natural cane sugar
1 vanilla bean, split and seeded
Zest of half a lemon
pinch of salt
Bosc pear, thinly sliced
pistachios, chopped
brown sugar for topping

In a small saucepan, combine the rice and water and bring it to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer covered for 15 minutes until water is absorbed by the rice. Add the coconut milk, whole milk, sugar, vanilla bean, lemon zest and salt. Simmer for another 10-15 minutes until it thickens.

Serve the rice pudding lukewarm with the pears, pistachios and brown sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment